13 Mar 2018

,

Book Review / Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia


Her story is a phenomenon. Her life is a disaster.

In the real world, Eliza Mirk is shy, weird, and friendless. Online, she’s LadyConstellation, the anonymous creator of the wildly popular webcomic Monstrous Sea. Eliza can’t imagine enjoying the real world as much as she loves the online one, and she has no desire to try.

Then Wallace Warland, Monstrous Sea’s biggest fanfiction writer, transfers to her school. Wallace thinks Eliza is just another fan, and as he draws her out of her shell, she begins to wonder if a life offline might be worthwhile.

But when Eliza’s secret is accidentally shared with the world, everything she’s built—her story, her relationship with Wallace, and even her sanity—begins to fall apart.


Published:     30th May 2017
Publisher:  Greenwillow Books
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Stand-Alone
Source:  Library




MY REVIEW

I honestly was really surprised by this book.  I had been seeing reviews of this book everywhere, caved and picked it up to read it.  I wasn't too sure what to expect with this - whether it would be covering serious issues or just an 'easy read' that is predictable but enjoyable.  I was so happy to discover that I was sucked into this book right from the first page and thoroughly following Eliza as she leads her 'double life'.

This was so much fun to read.  For me, it was most of the characters that won this over for me.  Eliza appeared to me to be very insecure and wanting to keep the biggest thing in her life a secret.  You then have Wallace who has a few secrets of his own.  Add onto that Eliza's brothers who, initially, I thought were just immature and were very typical young brother characters but at a point in this book where there is a significant reveal they stepped up and earned a lot more respect from me as a a reader.   Unfortunately not all the characters won me over.  Eliza's parents although I know they believed they were looking after Eliza's best interests, they didn't win me over with the way they handled certain aspects of what was happening in this story.  

Although predictable, this book was fun to read and completely addictive... Can't wait to check out more from this author. 










0 comments: