18 Jan 2018

, , ,

Book Review / Origin by Dan Brown


Robert Langdon, Harvard professor of symbology and religious iconology, arrives at the ultramodern Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao to attend a major announcement—the unveiling of a discovery that “will change the face of science forever.” The evening’s host is Edmond Kirsch, a forty-year-old billionaire and futurist whose dazzling high-tech inventions and audacious predictions have made him a renowned global figure. Kirsch, who was one of Langdon’s first students at Harvard two decades earlier, is about to reveal an astonishing breakthrough . . . one that will answer two of the fundamental questions of human existence.


As the event begins, Langdon and several hundred guests find themselves captivated by an utterly original presentation, which Langdon realizes will be far more controversial than he ever imagined. But the meticulously orchestrated evening suddenly erupts into chaos, and Kirsch’s precious discovery teeters on the brink of being lost forever. Reeling and facing an imminent threat, Langdon is forced into a desperate bid to escape Bilbao. With him is Ambra Vidal, the elegant museum director who worked with Kirsch to stage the provocative event. Together they flee to Barcelona on a perilous quest to locate a cryptic password that will unlock Kirsch’s secret.

Navigating the dark corridors of hidden history and extreme religion, Langdon and Vidal must evade a tormented enemy whose all-knowing power seems to emanate from Spain’s Royal Palace itself... and who will stop at nothing to silence Edmond Kirsch. On a trail marked by modern art and enigmatic symbols, Langdon and Vidal uncover clues that ultimately bring them face-to-face with Kirsch’s shocking discovery... and the breathtaking truth that has long eluded us.


Published:     3rd October 2017
Publisher:  Doubleday
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Book 5, Robert Langdon
Source:  Owned



MY REVIEW

Dan Brown is one of my favourite authors of all time so it is not a surprise to me that I loved this book.  His writing style always draws me in each and every time (but, to be honest, the image of Tom Hanks as the Robert Langton character pictured in my head certainly helps me connect to this character even more because Tom Hanks is just brilliant!).  Also, Dan Brown is one of those authors for me that I really like the fact that he writes similar stories (not the same but has the same theme of conspiracy and mystery) so I know that when I want to read that type of book I know to pick up a Dan Brown book.  I love that about an author.  I always find it confusing when authors change what they write and I don't know what to expect (sometimes it is good and sometimes not).

Even at 461 pages, with smallish font, I didn't envisage reading this in one day, but I did!  It was a quiet Sunday and all I wanted to do was read so I did.  I started reading when I got up in the morning at about 7am and only really stopped for breakfast and dinner and the obligatory bathroom breaks!  I finished it just after 8pm.  I wasn't rush reading or anything like that, I just read at my normal pace but I just could not put it down!  I had to know what was happening.

I was very surprised by the ending of this book and the various twists and turns that come up as well.  There's more than one 'reveal' in the story line that I was not expecting and I loved that!  This is also a book that does make you think about the consequences afterwards.  If you haven't picked this up yet you need to!!!


1 comments:

MyBookJourney said...

This is such a great review! I enjoyed the book as well :)