6 Nov 2017

,

Book Review / Rabbit by Patricia Williams


You want to know about the struggle of growing up poor, black and female? Ask any girl from any hood. You want to know what it takes to rise above your circumstances when all the cards are stacked against you? Ask me.

Comedian Patricia Williams, who for years went by her street-name "Rabbit," was born and raised in Atlanta’s most troubled neighborhood at the height of the crack epidemic.

One of five children, Pat watched as her alcoholic mother struggled to get by on charity, cons and petty crimes. At seven Pat was taught to roll drunks for money. At 12, she was targeted for sex by a man eight years her senior; by 13 she was pregnant. By 15 Pat was a mother of two.

Alone at 16, Pat was determined to make a better life for her children. But with no job skills and an eighth-grade education, her options were limited. She learned quickly that hustling and humor were the only tools she had to survive.

Rabbit is an unflinching memoir of cinematic scope and unexpected humor that offers a rare glimpse into the harrowing reality of life on America’s margins, resilience, determination, and the transformative power of love.


Published:     22nd August 2017
Publisher:  Dey Street Books
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Stand Alone, Non-Fiction
Source:  Review Copy from Publisher




MY REVIEW

I don't usually pick up and read non-fiction.  That's not because I don't like them or anything like that, its just that I naturally gravitate towards fiction rather than non-fiction.  I have to be honest and say that I had not heard of Patricia Williams but the description alone piqued my interest and I wanted to find out more about her. 

I hadn't realised that this book would be quite as shocking as it was, purely for the level of abuse experienced from a very young age.  It appeared to me that there was a severe lack of any responsible adult about with the exception of an incredibly wonderful teacher who helped her at school.  

Following Patricia's story, I quickly discovered what a strong character Patricia is.  With all that she has gone through, she should be! 

A truly inspirational autobiography that I am so glad that I picked up and learned more. 










0 comments: