5 Apr 2017

,

Series Review / Slammed by Colleen Hoover



Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope.

Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.

Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart.


Published:     2012
Publisher:  Simon & Schuster
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Books 1, 2 & 3, Slammed
Source:  Owned Copies



MY REVIEW

What I loved about this series...  After reading one or two of Colleen Hoover's books before I have now made it my mission to read all of her books.  They are so addicting and easy to read, how can you not!!  You have got a real mix of emotions in this series but what stood out to me as my favourite parts would have to be these...  Firstly, you have Will and Layken - how they meet, interact and how they have a will they won't they relationship (my favourite kind to read about).  You also have the individual stores of Will and Layken; Will is the sold carer for his little brother with his parents having died and Layken having moved to the neighbourhood after her father's death.  You also have one or two surprise twists and turns along the way that I won't spoil for you in this review but a few of them I was expecting and a couple that were a complete surprise.  Loved it!   


What I didn't like about this series...   Now, I loved reading Slammed and Point of Retreat (books 1 and 2) but when it comes to book 3 I have to be honest and say that I couldn't finish it.  I got to about 50 pages in and, honestly speaking, got bored.  It was a lot of flash backs to things that I already knew about and had read about before in the previous two books.  I didn't want This Girl to ruin what I had loved about the first two books so I decided not to read it.  I think this is one that I might pick up later on this year or later on sometime in the future and read independent of the first two to see what I think of it then.  To me, from what I read it just seemed repetitive.