27 Jan 2016

,

Series Review / Morganville Vampires Series by Rachel Caine


From the author of the popular Weather Warden series comes the debut of an exciting new series set in Morganville, Texas, where you would be well advised to avoid being out after dark.

College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation. When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life, but they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood. Will she be able to face the town's terror or will she drown like everyone else?


Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Complete Series, Books 1 to 15
Source:  Owned Copies

OK so this review is a long time coming.  When I first started this series it was the middle of November and although I knew that this series would be quick reads (approximately 250 ish pages each) I hadn't realised that I could get through most of them by the end of the year.  By the end of 2015 I had got to book 8 in the series (and that is in between other books I read in between reading this series) and my aim was to finish it as quick as I could into 2016.  I loved this series.  It was fun, easy to read, contained lovable characters and some unlovable characters but even the unlovable characters I liked more than hated reading through the series.

If I had to pick a favourite character in this series I couldn't possibly limit it to just one.  The main character Claire is definitely one of them.  What I liked the most about her was her progression throughout the series.  When I first met her in book 1 she did come across as a complete newbie in a town that she didn't know a lot about (which is kind of the story but it was written really well).  As the series goes through you can see her character getting stronger, wiser and knowing how to deal with herself in certain situations.  The other character that I liked a lot was Myrnin.  I won't go into much of the who that character is and why because that would spoil the story but if you do pick this up or have already read it you will know what a great character this one is!

With a long series like this one, one of my main worries was attention span.  Would a series as long as this one keep my attention span and want to keep reading?  I am going to be honest here and say that yes I did want to give up at one point but that was half my fault and half the fault of the story.  It was just after finishing book 6 and reading a little way into book 7 when I felt that the story was getting a bit slow so unfortunately I did the thing that I shouldn't do.  I put the book down and read something else.  That only made this worse because when I did go back to that book I couldn't remember where I was at and what was happening.  I did get back into it after reading on but it was a little bit of a struggle at that moment.

In summary, I really enjoyed this series so much.  It was uncomplicated and fun, just what I was looking for.  I will definitely be picking up more books written by Rachel Caine. 

If you haven't picked up this series, you should!  Its such a fun read and action packed as well.  There are a lot of secrets to discover along the way...  You won't regret it!









0 comments: