15 Oct 2015

,

Book Review / Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. In just a few weeks she'll have the operation that will turn her from a repellent ugly into a stunning pretty. 

And as a pretty, she'll be catapulted into a high-tech paradise where her only job is to have fun.

But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to become a pretty. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world-- and it isn't very pretty. 


The authorities offer Tally a choice: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. Tally's choice will change her world forever...



Published:     8th February 2005
Publisher:  Simon & Schuster
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Book 1, Uglies
Source:  Owned Copy


This series has literally been sitting on my bookshelves for years.  I bought this series of another reviewer at the time who was getting rid of the and that must have been about four or five years ago now.  Its one of those series that I am really interested in reading but never actually get around to it. As this year I am in the process of 'reorganising' my bookshelves, getting rid of those I have read and not quite liked and reading the ones I actually have on my shelf, this is a series I decided to pick up now and I am so glad that I did.

What I liked about this the most was that it was not complicated.  What you saw (or read in this case)  is what you got.  I loved it.  You have this world that is divided up into uglies (those who have not had the 'pretty' operation yet which they get when they are 16) and pretties.  There are other characters but I won't go into them here as that would spoil the story...  We follow the story of Tally who is an ugly.  Her best friend is older than her and has already crossed over to the pretty side.  We see Tally make a new friend who leads her astray and from then on its like one thing after another with a few twists and turns along the way.  I loved this story for what it is - fun, futuristic and action packet.  I can't wait to start the next one - which I am going to do right now lol!


0 comments: