23 Aug 2015

,

Series Review / Across the Universe Series by Beth Revis (Spoiler Free)

A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.


Published:     2011/2012/2013
Publisher:  Razorbill
Author Website:  Click here
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Books 1, 2 & 3, Across the Universe
Source:  Owned


This is one of those trilogies that has been on my shelf for ages. I read the first book, Across the Universe in May of 2011 and had subsequently bought the other two as ebooks because I enjoyed the first book so much.  I don't know what it is but I have a habit of only reading the first book and even though I enjoyed it I never continue on with a series.  One of my main reading aims for this year (and next year as well) is to get up to date with this.  This was one of the ones that I was very eager to tackle. 

What I loved about this story...
I started off by re-reading the first book as it had been over four years since I read it and I am really glad I did.  I think I actually enjoyed reading that book a lot more than the first and I was really surprised by how much of the story I had remembered.  Reading the rest of the trilogy just made me fall deeper and deeper in love with this trilogy and Beth Revis' writing.  

There was two things that made this story great for me.  The first was the character development and relationships.  You have characters who like each other, dislike each other, have alternate agendas etc.  Its a great mix and certainly interesting to see how they get on when they are stuck on Godspeed.  The other aspect that I loved was the mystery and suspense.  You have these people suck on Godspeed making their way to a new life but right from the beginning I got the funny feeling that there was a lot more than meets the eye.  Certainly, with each book it took me deeper and deeper into the story and into the characters lives I just could not stop reading.  I have to say that it took just one weekend to read this entire trilogy and I wouldn't hesitate to consider re-reading it again in the future. 

If you haven't  already, give this trilogy a go, you might be surprised by how much you love it!! I did!


Beth Revis wrote her first books as a student in classrooms, when the professors did not hold her interest and she jotted down stories instead of taking notes.

Beth writes science fiction and fantasy novels for teens. Her debut novel, ACROSS THE UNIVERSE, will be published by Razorbill/Penguin in Spring 2011. Beth is represented by Merrilee Heifetz at Writers House.

Beth also runs a blog on writing (http://bethrevis.blogspot.com) and is a participant of a group blog by debut dystopian authors (http://leaguewriters.blogspot.com).

 











0 comments: