26 Jul 2015

My Week in Books / 20th to 26th July 2015

This was a bit of a hit and miss week for me in books.  While I was really in a reading mood unfortunately the first two books I read just didn't do it for me.  The first I tried to read was Texas Gothic below is an explanation of how I DNF'd that one.  The next was The Memory Hit which was an 'out of my comfort zone' type of read so that one honestly could have gone either way (bad or good).  Normally, I don't like stories about drugs etc so this was a trial by fire style book.  The last book was the one that I enjoyed the most this week, The Witch Hunter.  I love books about witches so that definitely had that going for it from the start.  This one got 4 stars from me.  




Amy Goodnight knows that the world isn't as simple as it seems—she grew up surrounded by household spells and benevolent ghosts. But she also understands that "normal" doesn't mix with magic, and she's worked hard to build a wall between the two worlds. Not only to protect any hope of ever having a normal life.

Ranch-sitting for her aunt in Texas should be exactly that. Good old ordinary, uneventful hard work. Only, Amy and her sister, Phin, aren't alone. There's someone in the house with them—and it's not the living, breathing, amazingly hot cowboy from the ranch next door.

It's a ghost, and it's more powerful than the Goodnights and all their protective spells combined. It wants something from Amy, and none of her carefully built defenses can hold it back.

This is the summer when the wall between Amy's worlds is going to come crashing down.


This is a story that has been on my shelf for absolutely ages and is one that I was highly recommended to read as being quite scary so as I am in the middle of changing my bookshelves I thought now is as good time as any to read it (and I made sure that I started it during the day just in case!).  Honestly, I didn't find this scary or even remotely creepy.  I read about just over 100 pages and found that I just didn't care enough about what happened to the characters.  It's not to say that this wasn't a good story it was just the story wasn't going anywhere and when it did it seemed to take ages to get there, which lost my interest.  This is one that I may pick up again at another time but just could not continue with this one right now.   



0 comments: