17 Sept 2013

♥♥ Book Review / Fathomless by Jackson Pearce ♥♥


Celia Reynolds is the youngest in a set of triplets and the one with the least valuable power. Anne can see the future, and Jane can see the present, but all Celia can see is the past. And the past seems so insignificant -- until Celia meets Lo.

Lo doesn't know who she is. Or who she was. Once a human, she is now almost entirely a creature of the sea -- a nymph, an ocean girl, a mermaid -- all terms too pretty for the soulless monster she knows she's becoming. Lo clings to shreds of her former self, fighting to remember her past, even as she's tempted to embrace her dark immortality.

When a handsome boy named Jude falls off a pier and into the ocean, Celia and Lo work together to rescue him from the waves. The two form a friendship, but soon they find themselves competing for Jude's affection. Lo wants more than that, though. According to the ocean girls, there's only one way for Lo to earn back her humanity. She must persuade a mortal to love her . . . and steal his soul.


Published:     4th September 2013
Publisher:  Little Brown Books
Goodreads :  Click here
Series:  Book 3, Fairytale Retellings
Source:  Review Copy from Publisher
Review:   9 out of 10

FOR VIDEO REVIEWS - http://www.youtube.com/user/DebrasBookCafe


What I loved about this story...

Now, I will be honest and say that mermaid stories are not one of my favourite supernatural type stories so going into this story Ianticipated not liking it very much.  I was very wrong about that.  I really enjoyed this story, told through the viewpoint of Lo, a mermaid who cannot remember her past and Celia who tries to help Lo remember the best she can.

I liked how this story explored more about the idea of how mermaids get to be mermaids and what can be done to reverse the situation. 

What I was not fond of about this story...

I have to be honest and say that I was not too fond of the ending.  I was expecting a few certain things to happen but the route that certain characters take at the end of the story I was not expecting and was hoping for a different ending.

Summary...

This was a really fun mermaid story that I did enjoy reading, although the ending I was not too fond of.  If you haven't tried reading a mermaid story, this is definately a great one to start with as it depicts mermaids life in a very interesting way...

Video Review...

 

Best wishes

Debs :-)





0 comments: