26 Aug 2013

☼☼ Book Review / The Oathbreaker's Shadow by Amy McCulloch ☼☼



Fifteen-year-old Raim lives in a world where you tie a knot for every promise that you make. Break that promise and you are scarred for life, and cast out into the desert.

Raim has worn a simple knot around his wrist for as long as he can remember. No one knows where it came from, and which promise of his it symbolises, but he barely thinks about it at all—not since becoming the most promising young fighter ever to train for the elite Yun guard. But on the most important day of his life, when he binds his life to his best friend (and future king) Khareh, the string bursts into flames and sears a dark mark into his skin.

Scarred now as an oath-breaker, Raim has two options: run, or be killed.




Published:    6th June 2013
Publisher:  Random House
Goodreads :  Click here
Series:  Book 1, The Knots Sequence 

Source:  Review Copy from Publisher
Review:   9 out of 10

My Review

What I loved about this book...

I absolutey loved the world building in this first book in a series.  It is a world where before you 'come of age' if you make a promise, you get punished but after you have 'come of age' when you make a promise, you are bound to it (having to wear a thread bracelet to seal the deal).  If you break this promise, you are banned from society and are forever followed by a shadow, which is a ghost of the person they made the promise to.  I really enjoyed getting into this world and learning all the different rules and regulations of the society. 

What I was not fond of with this book...

Apart from one particular plot twist near the end of the story that I had hoped happened another way, honestly, there really wasn't anything I didn't like about this book


In summary...

This is a really great start to a series.  When picking up this book, I was completely out of my comfort zone having not read this style of story before but I have to say I really enjoyed this story and will definately be picking up the next in the series....

Video Review...



Best wishes

Debs :-)


0 comments: