20 May 2013

Author Interview: Kelly Anne Blount







I’m an avid writer by night and an Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) teacher by day. Through my work as a teacher, I am able to closely examine human behavior and tell made up stories on a regular basis. Both of these skills come in handy when I sit down to write my novels!

When I’m not at work or writing, I enjoy spending time with my husband, our five furry rescues (four cats and one dog), my friends, and of course my family!

​What I Like...

Reading: I read just about anything, but my favorite genre is young adult fantasy. I’m a huge fan of Amanda Hocking, Cornelia Funke, Suzanne Collins, Brandon Mull, and Harlan Coben.

Movies: The Hunger Games, Lord of the Rings, and Elf.

Musicians: I listen to anything from hip hop to reggae!







In the world of Necoh, everyone fears Grishma, a hideous murderous beast responsible for ruining or ending the lives of anyone who dare cross her.

As a young boy, Ryder lived with his family, deep in the caves underneath the Kadin Forest, unaware of the horrors of the world. His simple world was turned upside down one horrible night when Grishma attacked his family, killing his father and kidnapping his mother and younger sister.

From that night on, Ryder devoted his life to killing Grishma. He tracked the monster from Necoh, to our world, and back again. Unfortunately, during his quest, he accidentally transported Brooklyn, a high school junior into his tumultuous world, where she is mistakenly identified as Princess Sophie, the missing princess of Sumner.

Days after Princess Sophie’s return, Grishma plots and manipulates the King into drugging and marrying off his only daughter to Prince Algid of Dratun. Desperate to save Brooklyn, who now believes she is the long lost princess, his mother, and his little sister, Ryder embarks on the deadliest part of his quest.

Will he save Brooklyn? Will she ever regain her memory? What will become of his mother and sister?


GOODREADS LINK – CLICK HERE





1.  If you could work with any other author, who would it be and why?



I would love to work with Amanda Hocking! She is an amazing author whose ability to write amazing books in a short amount of time is unbelievably impressive. Also, her storylines are fantastic! I think if the two of us worked together we could write an awesome book! 



2.  What would be a typical working day for you? When and where do you write?



A typical working day for me starts at 7AM, when I wake up and get ready to go to my day job, which is an Early Childhood Special Education teacher. During the school day, I work with preschoolers with and without special needs. After work, I come home and relax by watching something on Bravo or an episode of one of my favorite shows (i.e., The Real Housewives, Bones, The Closer, Rizzoli and Isles, Grimm, Once Upon A Time, NCIS, etc.) and having something delicious to drink.



After relaxing, I typically get out my computer, sit on the couch and read what I last wrote, usually a chapter or sometimes two. Once I’m back into my writing world, I get typing! I try to get in at least 1,000 words every time I write. While writing, I usually have a rerun of one of my favorite shows on in the background. If I get stuck on a scene, I take a break, read or watch a movie that falls into the genre that I am writing. I love the feeling I get after I’ve written an awesome scene or chapter, it puts a huge smile on my face and I feel accomplished!



3.  What is the hardest part of the writing for you?



The hardest part of writing for me is taking the time to write! I am usually really tired when I come home from teaching and some nights I just need to recuperate! The weekends are usually the best time for me to write. My husband loves to play golf, so he usually plays for a few hours on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, while I stay home and write.



4.  When and why did you first start writing?



I first started writing as a little girl. I always loved to write and tell stories. Throughout elementary, middle, and high school, I wrote fictional stories in notebooks and for school assignments. During college, I didn’t have enough time to write for fun, so I mainly wrote papers. One of my professors wrote, “Your future is so bright you’re going to need sunglasses!” on one of my papers, which was a phenomenal compliment! After college, I taught in Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands. The combination of being a new teacher and living in paradise also meant there wasn’t a lot of time to write.



It wasn’t until May of 2012 that I seriously started to write. I came up with the idea for Grishma and went for it! I did a lot of research and chose my audience carefully. From that point on, it was a go! I finished Grishma six months later and now I’m working on the sequel! Yea!



5.  How did you come up with the idea for your book?



I’ve always had a vivid imagination and thanks to that, I came up with the idea for Grishma and several other stories just by sitting down, closing my eyes, and thinking, “What would make a fantastic story?”



6.  Are you a big reader? If so, what are you reading now?



Absolutely! I love to read! My favorite genre is young adult fantasy; however, I will try just about anything! I’m currently reading Wake by Amanda Hocking.



7.  Do you have any advice for other aspiring writers?



My best advice is to find a critique group and write as much as possible! Both help improve your motivation and writing skills.




Links:









Twitterhttps://twitter.com/KellyAnneBlount (@KellyAnneBlount) 






Goodreads Best Fantasy Covers List (currently in first place)http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3307.Best_Fantasy_Book_Covers#16421118

  







0 comments: