18 Mar 2013

Book Review: Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne

Fourteen kids. One superstore. A million things that go wrong ...
Fourteen kids stranded inside a superstore. Inside they have everything they could ever need. There's junk food and clothes, computer games and books, drugs and alcohol ... and without adult supervision they can do whatever they want.
Sounds like fun?

But outside the world is being ripped apart by violent storms and chemicals leaking into the atmosphere that, depending on blood type, leave victims paranoid, violent or dead.

The kids must remain inside, forced to create their own community, unsure if they'll ever be able to leave. Can they stop the world they've created inside from self-destructing too?


 Published:    4th April 2012
Publisher:  Hachette
Goodreads :  Click here
Series:  Book 1, Monument Series
Source:  Review Copy from Publisher
Review:   10 out of 10



Words cannot really describe how much I enjoyed this book.   I really went into this one not knowing a lot from it as the review copy that I had received did not have a blurb on the back and I thought I was fun not to find out but to wait and see what I thought.   

What I loved about this story...

Where do I start?!  If I had to pick one thing that I loved the most about this story, I would have to say it is the character interactionFor me, I found this story to be very character driven rather having a fast paced plot.  You basically have this group of kids (some really young and some teenager age) who are trapped in a superstore with the world around them apparently falling apart from what they can tell.  We follow these group of characters as they struggle to cope with the fact that they may never see their family again, struggle to get along with each other and struggle to survive.  Luckily, they are trapped in a superstore where everything they need is right at their fingertips, it is just a case of managing what they have so they do not run out etc.  Character wise, you have a bit of every single type of character you can think of in this story - good, bad, funny, sad etc etc.

What I was not so fond of with this story...

Absolutely nothing..  I loved this story to bits..

In summary...
An amazing read and with the way it ended, I really cannot wait to find out what happens next...


2 comments:

The Readdicts said...

Oh my, you really enjoyed this one! I've been seeing Monument 14 around A LOT, but I haven't really considered giving it a try. Guess I should though, right? I'm glad to hear that you found the character very well portrayed. :) Awesome review, Debra!

Sarika @ The Readdicts

grace crawford said...

hanks for the review! Monument 14 looks really interesting, but I'm a little worried about the pacing. I like when there's action to grab me in the beginning, but I don't know how I feel when it cools down significantly afterwards. Hmmm...

regards,
grace (Dallas Cold Laser)