6 Mar 2013

Author Interview: Adriana Girolami




Born in Italy near Rome, Adriana’s artistic inclination as a graphic illustrator, author, and lifelong lover of the written word was nurtured by the ancient beauty of her native country. As a child, her parents encouraged her to read, and books were always available in her home. Her mother Lena was an avid reader who inspired Adriana by her example, favoring distinguished historical authors such as Alessandro Manzoni, Sir Walter Scott, and Adriana's personal favorite, Alexander Dumas.

Adriana immigrated with her family to the United States following her father’s untimely death. She attended The Art Students League in New York City and eventually embarked on a career as a portrait artist and illustrator. She found her profession satisfying, but craved the freedom of the written word, remembering all those wonderful and exciting books that stimulated her imagination as a child.

In her spare time Adriana enjoys physical activities. She jogs faithfully, plays racquet ball and has a black belt in Kenpo karate. She loves to travel and has visited many different countries throughout Europe, the Americas, and Africa. She currently lives in Florida with her husband Raymond and their son Alex.


 
It is the year 1480, when dark forces and violence corrupt the European court of the Duke of Nemours. The only hope remains in the hands of the Duke’s daughter Polyxena, a woman of stunning beauty that is coveted by many men.

Polyxena arrives at the castle of the Duke of Lorengar-Lorraine only to discover that the arranged marriage to her prospective husband has been foiled. The Duke has been killed in a coup d’etat. She is immediately captured, held in isolation, and commanded to marry to the new Duke, a cruel man who rules with a combination of force and fear.

A mysterious knight hears of the strength, plans, and determination of this beautiful woman, and comes to her aid. He knows she faces many obstacles and counter-plots, but he would be willing to risk his life to protect hers, not only for the sake of her people…but his own heart.
It is in the darkest of hours that Polyxena’s strength and courage shines, as her skill of the sword comes in handy against her enemies, and she finds the real meaning of true love in a honorable and noble knight.

The odds are against them, death and despair come from all sides…the two will risk their lives and love for the country they share.

1) If you could work with any other author, who would it be and why?
I would love to work with Alexander Dumas. He was a great visual writer with amazing knowledge of history. His books were filled with adventure, mystery and were always unpredictable and very engaging.

2) What would be a typical working day for you? When and where do you write?
I usually write during the day in my computer room, although, I do most of my creative thinking as I jog in the neighborhood park. The fresh air stimulates my mind.

3) What is the hardest part of the writing for you?
The hardest part is finding the time to write undisturbed, and managing my creative thoughts as I engage in different daily activities.

4) When and why did you first start writing?
I am an artist and illustrator who enjoys the creativity of my chosen profession, although, I always had a deep seeded desire to write. I love the beauty and freedom of the written word, and a couple of years ago I decided to fulfill my wish and write my first novel, "Revenge of the Knights Templar".


 5) How did you come up with the idea for the book your book?
I love history, especially European History with the beauty and glamour of knights in shining armor, castles, etc... The repressed middle ages fascinate me and I wanted to write about a strong-willed, passionate, young woman's survival to the challenges of that difficult era. I also incorporated my love for mystery and unexpected endings to the story.

6)  Are you a big reader? If so, what are you reading now?
I love reading as often as I am able to. Two of my latest books are "Forever Amber" by Kathleen Winsor and "The Lonely Empress: Elizabeth of Austria" by Joan Haslip.

7.  Do you have any advice for other aspiring writers?
One should believe firmly in their own creativity, and let it to be the dominant factor in their writing. Aspiring authors should choose subject matters that resonates with them and they have some knowledge of. They should write something they would love to read.

0 comments: