8 Jan 2013

Book Review: Book of Shadows by Cate Tiernan (Wicca (Sweep) Book 1)

Something is happening to me that I don't understand.

I see things, feel things in a new way. I can do things normal people can't do. Powerful things. Magickal things. It scares me.

I never chose to learn witchcraft. But I'm starting to wonder if witchcraft is choosing me.



Published:  29th January 2001
Publisher:  Speak 
Goodreads Link:   Click here
Source:  Bought


My Review     10 out of 10

OK, so I have had this series on my shelf for at least a year now and I thought it was about time that I picked it up and read it.  I love everything witchy so this book is definitely right up my street.  

Let's talk about the story.  I have deliberately not put the blurb from the book at the top of this post as when I read that I thought great this story sounds amazing but as I was reading it I realised that in the blurb was everything that happened in book 1.  I was a little disappointed that there was nothing extra but that was it.  I absolutely loved the story and its predictability.  You have Morgan who is the main character and who is learning all about witchcraft and how it affects here, you have Cal who moves into the place were Morgan lives and befriends her and others, enticing them to a mysterious party.  Morgan also has a best friend in this story, Bree who also gets swept up in all the action.  Immediately we are sunk into a 'love triangle' type of situation (which I love) between Morgan, Cal and Bree, which I really enjoyed following and finding out what happens next. 

Turning to the characters in the story, I adored Morgan and her inquisitive nature in wanting to find out more.  She tends to move by instinct and I always find that type of character interesting.  Cal is a mysterious character in this first book.  He moves into the place where Morgan lives, arrives at school, makes friends with near enough everyone and then asks people to join a mysterious party.  I get the feeling that there is more to Cal's story that we will find out in later books.

What I liked the most about this book is the descriptions of places, people and magic.  All through this book I very much felt that this was was an introduction to places, people and magic and I loved that about it.  After reading this book, I feel like I really know the characters, places etc and am ready to take on the rest of the series...  I can't wait to start the next one now!

Best wishes

Debs

 

0 comments: