6 Dec 2012

Joint Book Review - Immortal Beloved and Darkness Falls by Cate Tiernan (Book 1 and 2, Immortal Beloved)

New name, new town, new life. Nastasya has done it too often to count. And there's no end in sight. Nothing ever really ends ...when you're immortal. 

 But now, after centuries of feeding from the lives of the innocents around her, of living with little care for others, Nastasya is ready to turn towards the light. 'After some of the events I've witnessed I felt like I was a shell with nothing alive left in me. I hadn't been going around killing people, but people were hurt -- the memories just kept trickling in like rivulets of fresh acid dripping into my brain until I wanted to scream. It was in my blood, I knew. A darkness. The darkness. I had inherited it, along with my immortality and my black eyes.





Immortal Beloved Release Date:  6th January 2011
Darkness Falls Release Date: 13th September 2012
Goodreads Links :  Immortal BelovedDarkness Falls
Publisher:  Hodder & Stoughton
Source:  Review Copies from Publisher


My Review - 10 out of 10   

For every post I do, I always try to choose the actual cover of the book I read.  In this case, I had two different types of cover for each of these books.  Being honest, I have to say that I prefer the Immortal Beloved cover better than the Darkness Falls cover.

Ok, so onto the review.  I absolutely love this series so far.  After reading the blurb, I thought this sounded like a pretty weird book as the blurb does not really give much away but this story has so much goodness in it I really did not want to put it down.  There are two aspects to the story that I enjoyed the most:

Environment  - As we follow Natasya through the story, I slowly became aware of the life that she was living in, in the present, and the life that she would come to know.  I liked how the two different lives were introduced slowly and not just as a massive 'bang' and then trying to have to pick up the pieces afterwards.  The introduction of the new live that Natasya would come to know came slowly in the novel and introduced new pieces of information a bit at a time, which allowed me time to digest each and every one and truly appreciate the beauty of the situation that Natasya was in.

Characters - For me, this book was definitely very character driven.  You have a group of characters at the beginning that you get to know and start to form an opinion over and when Natashya moves on to her new life there is a whole bunch of new characters that you get to know and start to form an opinion on.  As the story goes through Immortal Beloved and Darkness Falls, those opinions get tested on many occasions as one thing you may have thought about a character turns out not to be true and I definitely had to rethink my opinions on many characters in this story.

I absolutely loved this story so far and can't wait to pick up the next book in the series, hopefully very soon...  

Best wishes

Debs 

0 comments: