9 Oct 2012

Author Interview: James Fouche

James Fouche - www.jackhanger.com




1. If you could work with any other author, who would it be and why?

Chuck Palahniuk or Elmosre Leonard would be interesting options. Both authors apply concision and brevity to their writing styles. Then again, collaborating with any wise experienced author would certainly challenge me to the point of growth.


2. What would be a typical working day for you? When and where do you write?

I can only write when I'm open to the scene. In my next book, King of Sorrow, there is one section where I write as a 55-year-old Zimbabwean militant who wakes up in a pool of blood. I have to become this person.

Coffee shops tend to provide me with an abundance of characters and their unique mannerisms. As most writers I'm an observer and a recorder of human emotions.


3. What is the hardest part of the writing for you?

When I'm finished. I have to close the book, and my intense passion for the project has to take a different shape in order for me to promote it. I instantly feel like a salesman instead of an author. I take comfort in knowing that even authors have to eat.


4. When and why did you first start writing?

I began writing at school. I was struggling to pass my languages as subjects, then I realised I could pass by simply writing interesting or captivating essays.



5. How did you come up with the idea for the book?

I sat playing with a piece of gum one day, and wondered what type of mind would find such a mundane activity interesting. The character of Dave Matters was born. Slowly he grew into a demanding anti-hero with many physical and mental flaws. He became the perfect blunt instrument to upset the apple cart. And he does.


6. Are you a big reader? If so, what are you reading now?

Yes. I just finished Truth Extraction by Malcolm Russell, and now I'm busy with Moby Dick, a literary masterpiece which has been on my ever-growing pile of To-Read-Books.


7. Do you have any advice for other aspiring writers?
Advice normally gets passed on from generation to generation. Many quotes from literary geniuses come to mind, but only one quote stand out above the rest as true advice for writers. In the words of legendary Winston Churchill: "Never, never, never give up."



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a psychology major so this book sounds interesting to me!