30 Aug 2012

Book Review - The Selection by Kiera Cass

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

Published:  24th April 2012
PublisherHarperTeen
Source:  Netgalley Review
Links:  Goodreads  /  Amazon.co.uk  /  Amazon.com    

My Review       7 out of 10

So, first off I have to make a mention about the cover before talking about the book.  What an absolutely gorgeous cover...  I read this book as an ebook but the cover was still amazing looking at it through my tablet.  I have to admit that my favourite colour of all time is Turquoise so the colour in this completely caught my eye, not to mention the pretty pretty cover....  

Now to the story, I liked the fact that there is a lot of description to this book.  As this is a futuristic type story, the more description is definitely better.  When reading books in a different time, I like to immerse myself in the world as well as the story.  The main character, America (Mer for short) is the main character who we see at the beginning as a singer.  Everybody has their different 'class' in society and being a singer, I believe, is about middle class.  

For me, the story really started when America is chosen to take part in The Selection, leaving a boy that she thought she loved behind.  America makes friends with one of the other 'Selected' and there is also a couple of romances in there too...  

I am very interested to follow this series as I would love to learn more about the King and Queen as in this story the King is portrayed to be a very strong character and the Queen seems to be a very 'normal' character.  I am also very keen to carry on with this series to find out what actually happens next.  I had got to the end of reading this book and was a bit puzzled by where it finished, which I thought was quite unusual.....

A very enjoyable book and an easy read...  

Best wishes

Debs :-)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tortoise is my fave colour as well!!

I loved this book and have rated it higher than you but i do agree i was slightly perplexed when the book ended....it did seem slightly unnatural ending but really set up the second book as a must read.