24 Apr 2012

Book Review - Socialpunk by Monica Leonelle

Ima would give anything to escape The Dome and learn what’s beyond its barriers, but the Chicago government has kept all its citizens on lockdown ever since the Scorched Years left most of the world a desert wasteland. When a mysterious group of hooded figures enters the city unexpectedly, Ima uncovers a plot to destroy The Dome and is given the choice between escaping to a new, dangerous city or staying behind and fighting a battle she can never win.

Goodreads Page - click here.

My Review   

7 out of 10


I have to admit that at the start of this story I was thinking what on earth is going to happen in this story but when the hooded characters came onto the scene, things became very interesting indeed!  

I did find it confusing when halfway through the story, Ima decided to change her name to Cinder.  Although I completely understand why she did it in the story, because she was becoming a new person and wanted a new identity, it took me a while to catch up and try and remember that every time I read the name Cinder, it was Ima.. 


What I thought was really enjoyable about this book was the fact that Ima/Cinder definitely has quite a few chaps wanting her attention (if you know what I mean ;-) and watching her reaction to those advances.  

After Ima/Cinder learning that all may not be what she seems, she has to make some really tough decisions but I felt that she chose the right ones.   



Things are definitely not what they seem in this story and there are a lot of secrets to be uncovered and not a lot of time to uncover them.   


Without spoiling the ending, I will just say that there is a very surprising twist that I was completely not expecting... 





Best wishes


Debs :-)



0 comments: