12 Feb 2012

Book Review: Flying Blind by Deborah Cooke (Book 1, Dragon Diaries)

Zoë Sorensson is perfectly normal, except she's been told she's destined for great things. Zoë's the one female dragon shapeshifter of her kind. But Zoë is at the bottom of the class when it comes to being Pyr and her powers are AWOL, so she's sent to a Pyr boot camp.

Zoë quickly realizes that she has to master her powers yesterday, because the Pyr are in danger and boot camp is a trap. The Mages want to eliminate all shifters and the Pyr are next in line-unless Zoë and her friends can work together and save their own kind.


Publication Date:  2011
Publisher:  Allison &; Busby

My Review:  9 out of 10 

If you would prefer to see the video review, please see the bottom of this post.





I have to admit that this is the first dragon book I have read.  Up until now, I had thought that I would not like dragon stories but I am always willing to give something a go before deciding whether or not to like or not like it.  This story was so fun to read, I really enjoyed it.  


This story was so full of information about dragons, their way of life, how they change from human to dragon etc I was so glad that this was the book I had chosen to gently guide me into the ways of the dragon.  Not only did the author describe information as it happens with the characters but also put in little lists of things such as 'Five Things the Pyr Can Do', 'Five Things about the Wyvern' and 'Five Things about Mages'.  I am not sure if this is just specific to this story or dragon stories in general but I do hope to find out.


There are some wonderful characters in this book that I absolutely loved, Zoe being one of them.  At the beginning of the story, she is unsure of herself and just waiting in the wings (excuse the pun) for her powers to come to her as she is supposed to be the Wyvern, which is a female dragon who has very special powers.  There can only be one Wyvern living at any time.  When she is sent away to a boot camp, she soon discovers she has more strength than she realised and even has more powers than she realised.  Zoe also has a great sense of humour which comes through in Deborah's writing.  I did laugh out loud at some of the things that Zoe comes out with.  

I have to admit that at the boot camp there were quite a few characters in the mix that I did have a little trouble at the beginning trying to remember each character but that really didn't deflect from the story, which was so fun to read.  






Best wishes


Debs :-)

0 comments: