23 Sept 2010

Why I Don’t Like to Leave Books Unfinished

Don't you ever find that you wake up in the morning, think to yourself 'Right, what do I have to do today?' and then think 'Oh crap, I haven't finished that thing I started yesterday'. Let's say, for example, I started to clean the kitchen (and I mean completely clean it - gut the cupboards, clean and put items back etc etc etc). I would get to the emptying the cupboards part, clean the cupboards and get halfway through organising the stuff to put back but half way through get bored and leave it for a while. Well, a while becomes the next day making me fear going into the kitchen to see all the mess! I used to be like that and would find that I get annoyed with myself far too much. I am all up for an easy life so I decided to change. No longer do I leave things undone and that includes books.

I have to be honest and say that the majority of books that I read, I do enjoy and finish with no problems. Some may be slow reads, taking a while to complete, and some may be fast reads where I just can't put it down (which I love when I find a book like that) but, on the whole, I am very open minded when it comes to books and will try any genre as long as the plot is good. But there is the very rare occasion when I come across a book that I start, get about 50 pages in, put it down for the evening and never seem to have the need to pick it up and read it. I have one of those books at the moment. It is on my bed stand, ready for reading but I just can't seem to bring myself to pick it up to finish reading it. I am not going to give up though. I will read it at some point but, at the moment, I just feel there are other books that are screaming for my attention more than this one at the moment.

So, let me turn the question over to you. Have you ever had a book that you just could not manage to get through no matter how hard you try? I would love to hear your stories...

Best wishes.

2 comments:

titancia said...

There are very few books that I decided not to finish. I, too, like to finish books I start, no matter how long it takes me. The one I'm struggling the most with at the moment is City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. I started it probably in June, and haven't picked it up since. I intend on finishing it, but for now it's just sitting on my shelf, mocking me.

Lucy said...

I can so relate to that!! I am reading The Distant Hours by Kate Morton at the moment and 350 pages in and i still dont understand it. But I cannot give up on a book, so I should finish it one day *yawn*