10 Jul 2010

, , , , , ,

Book Haul - Amazon Delivery!

Hi!  OK so I have gone a bit nuts over buying books for the past couple of weekends and I thought I would share with you what books I have bought and how excited I am to read them.  Firstly, I received my Amazon order on Wednesday of brand new books, not second hand but at second hand prices..  I do love the Buy Used option in Amazon because you get brand new books at half price...  I love a good book bargain!

OK, here we go....


I have to admit that I bought this book purely for the cover...  I thought it sounded like a fantastic idea for a book....  I know I am only 29 years old but already I have discovered many things that my mother never told me like how life when you live in your own place...  My mother made it look effortless but its not, its hard work keeping on top of everything....  I'm exhausted thinking about it!  Ugh!  Reading the back of this book, I am really excited to read this one...  Here is the blurb:

'I hate you. When I'm a mother, I'm never going to be like you...' These words come back to haunt Ros, years later. As her marriage of twenty years collapses and her beloved twin sons prepare to flee the nest, Ros's world is tilting on its axis. It doesn't help that her dead mother seems to have taken up residence in her head, reminding her of things she once said. As Ros tries to adapt to sharing custody of the family dog and life without her husband and boys in the house, she embarks on a new regime to stay sane: yoga, herbal remedies, Internet dating. But as Ros is trying to find herself, the arrival of a memoir her mother wrote begins to reveal a woman she never knew, taking her on a journey into her mother's past that will change for ever her idea of who she is.'



The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
This book I chose simply for the title...  I thought it sounded funny and even after reading the blurb, I thought this was a great idea for a book.....   Looking forward to reading this one to!

January 1946: writer Juliet Ashton receives a letter from a stranger, a founding member of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. And so begins a remarkable tale of the island of Guernsey during the German occupation, and of a society as extraordinary as its name.

The Prince of Mist

Carlos Ruiz is a new author that I have found out about this year.  I have read his two books that are out at the moment (and I will do reviews on those shortly) and thought they were fantastic...  I nearly leapt out of my chair when I found out that there was another book......  Very very excited about this one, even more excited when it arrived and I found out that it was 202 pages of extremely large font!

It's war time, and the Carver family decides to leave the capital where they live and move to a small coastal village where they've recently bought a home. But from the minute they cross the threshold, strange things begin to happen. In that mysterious house still lurks the spirit of Jacob, the previous owners' son, who died by drowning.


The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things

This one I had heard on a couple of other people's book review websites/videos and I just loved the sound of the story...  It is certainly one that will come close to my heart being a voluptuous lady....  Looks like this will be a nice easy read....

Fifteen-year-old Virginia Shreves has a larger-than-average body and a plus-size inferiority complex, especially when she compares herself to her slim, brilliant, picture-perfect family. But that’s before a shocking phone call — and a horrifying allegation — about her rugby-star brother changes everything. With irreverent humor and surprising gravity, Carolyn Mackler creates an endearingly blunt heroine who speaks to every teen who struggles with family expectations, and proves that the most impressive achievement is to be true to yourself.


Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia

I just love the idea of this book...  Kind of like a guide to life for women!  I am not sure if it is a story or one of those self-help books and I have to admit this was a 'oooh that sounds like a good book' when looking at the front cover so I thought I would buy it...  Hoping it is going to be a good book....

This beautifully written, heartfelt memoir touched a nerve among both readers and reviewers. Elizabeth Gilbert tells how she made the difficult choice to leave behind all the trappings of modern American success (marriage, house in the country, career) and find, instead, what she truly wanted from life. Setting out for a year to study three different aspects of her nature amid three different cultures, Gilbert explored the art of pleasure in Italy and the art of devotion in India, and then a balance between the two on the Indonesian island of Bali. By turns rapturous and rueful, this wise and funny author (whom Booklist calls "Anne Lamott’s hip, yoga- practicing, footloose younger sister") is poised to garner yet more adoring fans.

I Miss Mummy

Cathy Glass is the most amazing author of real life stories I have read, ever..   She is a real life foster carer (her writing name is not her real name and she does not use the names of the actual children she is writing about) and writes about her experiences...  The stories of the children are just so sad, its incredible just what goes on behind closed doors  SUPER SUPER excited to read this one......





 

0 comments: